- I am a SAHM who does work from home occasionally, dedicated to raising 3 Godly, independent, healthy children. Loving the home building process though it is not without challenges. I have fairly free reign over the creative aspect of the project...just not the financial side!
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Apart from a post to show you our newly laid waterline tiles, I thought I would update you on the latest decisions we had to make on the pool.
A few weeks prior to Christmas, I was surprisingly informed that there was an extra cost to be incurred. The backwash pipe allowance in the contract is for 6m but we would need about 30m to reach the sewer gully. To extend, it would cost about $1200. Upon baulking at paying that, it was suggested that we change to a centrifugal filter - no backwashing required, with Concept picking up the extra $50. Great - signed off on it.
Fast forward to January when our landscaping team asked how we were going to remove waste water from the pool in the case of days of heavy rain. Not sure? was my answer. The Finishing supervisor suggested hooking up a hose, carrying to the stormwater absorption pit and dumping in there. The Director of Concept suggested just letting it overflow and evaporation will do its trick. Neither solution sat comfortably with me at all.
Tim Hayward and his boys suggested getting a plumber to do the pipework as they could not see how it could possibly be $1200 worth and requesting the original filter in the contract. Done! We had a plumber by that afternoon ($250 plus the pipes which are yet to be invoiced) with the job completed.
Well done Hayward Landscaping - not something in their brief but took it on willingly.
I sent an email to Concept Pools informing them of the work completed (installing a gully on the boundary shaft and raising it to the new ground level; run a line to the new gully) so imagine my surprise when I then received the contract variation from THEM for over $1000 to complete the work. Now having sent them photos, I hope that we receive the correct filter to install.
Thursday, October 31, 2013
A word of warning for those yet to go through their HSI appointment (electricals) with Eden Brae - if you have a preference for colour of your glow, make sure you state it even if you aren't asked about it. The HSI appointment can be daunting especially if your upgrade list is long. So many decisions are made that can be the make or break for a room or the way a house functions. I was not asked what colour I would like my 100 (yes, 100) downlights. I remember walking into my house when the electricals were done and thinking oh, NO! The cool fluro look was not what I was wanting to achieve. Rough calculations showed me that I was looking at about $2K to change them over - um, no, not in a hurry! I left that issue in the too hard basket.
Fast forward to yesterdays electrical maintenance visit. Apart from waiting at the house in the morning as I was told that they would be there then, the guys were fantastic. A real credit to their company, Quiklec. Pleasant, clean, efficient, accommodating, nothing was an issue even though some of the work was a little more difficult than they first thought (possibly due to work not being done correctly earlier). AJ from re-do my space hung out with me for the 3 hours they were there to ensure the lights were place correctly. She subtly asked one of the guys if there was anything we could do about the LED downlights given we were not given a choice and hence the default option was installed. Chris seemed to think that replacing them was not going to be a major issue as we had not moved in yet and used them much at all. We crafted an email to the company and I received a call today that Quiklec would replace them for me. Oh my! I am ecstatic and so is AJ. For my home, it will be a much nicer tone and it will now be the same as the lamps that we have bought. Thankyou Quiklec for your customer service.
We also experienced a plumbing issue today. The powder room toilet won't flush and the water keeps running. Eden Brae have sent a plumber out early tomorrow to investigate for me and to look at a possible leak in the rainwater tank piping.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
|Some of the bricks have arrived - loving the colour|
|Bricks for the rendering I assume|
|The streetscape as I drove along - 6 vehicles for our build|
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Firstly, I have had to move my photo spot. A friend suggested that I take a photo from the same spot each time so that we can put them together into time lapse mode to easily see building progress. So I have been diligently taking a photo from the 3rd hole along in the fence at eye level. As of today, I have a newly erected pole in the way. A new position is required...
Lots of activity today as reported by a few friends. A digger up the back placing the stormwater drainage system in and other pipes being laid for the plumbing.
Those black crate looking things are going in the absorption trenches in the backyard. Glad the slab has had time to cure enough for heavy machinery to run over the top of it ;-)
Monday, March 18, 2013
Sunday, March 17, 2013
I received an email early yesterday morning from Troy suggesting we relocate the instant hot water system from the study/guest wall at the front of the house to the media room wall. This will improve the efficiency as it will be more central to the water supply points. More than happy to relocate. At tender, I did ask whether installing another system would be advantageous due to the length/size of the house. The study is a long way away from the kitchen! I was told it would be fine.